SMPIA's Multi-PlatFORUM was a two-day networking and professional development event focusing on Digital Content creation from both creative and business perspectives. Multi-PlatFORUM 2012 was held March 27th-28th in Regina, and featured an impressive list of Digital Media leaders from across the country who can to connect with Saskatchewan creators for an inspirational 2 days.
- Francesca Accinelli, Director, English Market (CMF Program Administrator), Telefilm Canada
- Emily Claire Afan, Director Development & Communications, CIAIC
- Rob Bartel, Associate Producer, Bioware ULC
- Sasha Boersma, Business Analyst & Producer: Interactive, Convergent, Games
- Norm Bolen, President and CEO, CMPA
- David Callele, TR Labs
- Valerie Creighton, President and CEO, Canada Media Fund
- Zach Feldberg, Manager, Dramatics and Factual Digital Media, Shaw Media
- Ryan Fitzgerald, Transmedia Specialist/Community Manager, Celtx
- Kevin Franco, Chief Creative Officer, Francomedia.com
- Cory Generoux, Producer, National Film Board of Canada
- Richard Gustin, Manager of Production, Bluepoint Broadcasting Group Inc.
- J.C. Hutchins, Transmedia Storyteller
- Peter Kucherepa, Trade Commissioner - ICT, Foreign Affairs & International Trade Canada
- David Kyle, Executive Director, Saskatchewan Arts Board
- Annelise Larson, Partner, Veria Search Media Marketing
- Ryan Lejbak, CEO, zu
- Amy Matysio, Actor/Writer
- Alex Mayhew, Creative Director, The Labs
- Rob McLaughlin, Deputy Publisher/Editor-in-Chief, Regina Leader-Post & Saskatoon StarPhoenix
- Lisanne Pajot & James Swirsky, Co-Directors/Producers, IndieGame: The Movie
- Wally Start, Producer, Angel Entertainment
- Michael Steinberg, Executive Producer, Thread Branded
- Matt Toner, President, Zeros 2 Heroes Media
The evening of March 27th included a sit-down Dinner followed by a Reception that showcased Transmedia production prototypes resulting from the work of SMPIA’s Digital Media Initiative program. Participants included members of IATSE, DGC, ACTRA, SaskInteractive, SPMA, Paved Arts, Saskatchewan Filmpool Cooperative and more! The lab was undertaken by SMPIA with the financial participation of SaskCulture and SaskFilm.
The afternoon of March 28th, Multi-PlatFORUM played host to The Banff Cross-Media Pitch Competition where local cross-media creators competed for a chance to present their projects at the Banff World Media Festival in June. The competition was moderated by local actress Amy Matysio and the Executive Director of the Saskatchewan Arts Board, David Kyle was on hand to announce the winners. In a tight race, the team comprised of CollegeMobile & Wapos Bay Productions as well as the team of T3 Digital & Karma Film were selected by the judges to accompany SMPIA as part of the delegation to Banff. Other Local companies presenting included: Partners in Motion, NoodleCake Studios Inc, Alvil Tayco & KAR Media. Funding for the Banff Cross-Media Delegation is provided by a Culture on the Go: Market Access Grant through the Saskatchewan Arts Board.
Multi-PlatFORUM programming ran in conjunction with SMPIA's Annual General Meeting where in reflection of the fact that 1/3 of our membership is now comprised of interactive programmers, developers, social media professionals etc, the membership voted to change our name to the "Saskatchewan Media Production Industry Association" and secure two dedicated interactive positions on the board. Members Annelise Larson (Veria Tweet) and Dwayne Melcher (Melcher Media) will fill these positions. It was also announced that for the first time, SMPIA's Showcase Awards and SaskInteractive's SIMA awards would be held in partnership. The event will occur on November 22nd in Regina.
Please use hashtag #mpforum12 when Tweeting about the conference
Big thanks to our Multi-PlatFORUM and AGM sponsors and supporters!